Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Spring in My Step

Each year the dawning of Spring provides me with just the right motivation to once again... begin again. We thrust open our windows, wake to birds chirping at the feeders on the Magnolia and Dogwood trees. Two days ago geese flew over our house. The smell of the azaleas and wisteria can be intoxicating and the dew in the morning grass is heaven sent. I seldom get so chipper as I do in the Spring time. Each afternoon my family goes for a walk (anywhere from 2-4 miles) through our beautiful neighborhood and down the charming side streets that make up our home town. Walking is my next-to-least favorite exercise but this time of year it feels wonderful. Of course I always hope to maintain the motivation that overtakes me during this time but it seldom sticks. Today I had a great cardio workout indoors then went for a walk this evening and played frisbee with my children after dinner. I want to be outdoors all the time right now, before it's too hot and unbearable. Georgia in the Summer (especially if you're not use to it) can be despicable. July and August are the months I most want to run around naked and jump through sprinklers in just that fashion. And so I try to absorb as much of Spring as possible. Even the damn Spring cleaning is somewhat delightful. The old wood shines and the fresh air that seeps in through the open windows refreshes me. And so for now there's a little something extra in my day, a bit more sunshine, a pinch more flavor and a spring in my step.

No comments:

Post a Comment