Monday, September 6, 2010

Hold Tight

Since my children were very small I've reached into the back seat of the car when we were traveling to hold their hands. I've done it for any number of reasons... When they're tired or cranky, when they're afraid or when they're bored, I reach back and grab their little hands and hold on to it for as long as I can, or until my arm goes to sleep. On our last trip to and from West Virginia a couple of weeks ago I realized for the first time, when I reached back to take hold of my daughter's hand that I was not only taking it for her comfort but for mine as well. I felt my heart swell as she grasped my hand and we sat for several minutes in silence staring at the unfamiliar winding roads ahead. On the return trip home from West Virginia I had a similar experience with my son. On both of these occasions I found myself wishing that I could hold on to them forever. If I could go through life holding their small hands I might never be afraid again. I hope that they feel as strong and soothed holding my hand as I do holding theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment