Sunday, February 19, 2012

Food Anyone?

I've been making and drinking green smoothies off and on for a couple of years now. I finally perfected my recipe and it includes 3/4 blender of spinach, a few kale leaves, one banana, 5 or 6 strawberries, a handfull of blueberries, a bit of pineapple and a tsp of honey. Yummy! When I drink them for breakfast consistently the benefits to my health and mood and energy level is amazing! My mother bought me a juicer last year and I love it as well.

This afternoon my bff showed me a documentary she watched about a man who went on a sixty day juice fast. He started out at 319 lbs and in the first 10 days he lost 21 of them.  During his fasting he toured the United States (he's an Aussie) and the looks and comments he received when people found out what he was doing were astounding. Most obese people know that in order to lose weight they have to change their diet and take in fewer calories but it's astonishing to hear how oblivious they are about food in general.  I'm no foodie. I'm no expert in nutrition but I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that eating a lot of fatty sugary processed foods will make you fat and feel bad. And this isn't a knock on my Mother, but when I told her that I wanted to do a 10 day juice fast and explained to her what it entailed, her response was "That doesn't sound healthy. It's not good for you not to eat." I almost fainted upon hearing this. What this juice fast entails is instead of trying to physically chew 16 servings of fruits of vegetables per day, I'm going to combine the foods into smoothies and juices and consume them in a liquid or soft form. I will put into my body, only healthy, vitamin rich, nutritious foods. And my own Mother doesn't know if this is healthy...

The man who filmed his personal journey through this fasting's name is, Joe Cross. His documentary is aptly titled: Fat - Sick - And Nearly Dead. I recommend that everyone watch it. It's a basic and simple, non judgemental approach to regaining control of our bodies. We are a fat, sick, nearly dead, doctor and medicine dependent nation. I don't understand why food means so much to so many but it's difficult to listen to people's excuses for why they choose to be in such poor health. And it IS a choice. We don't have to eat garbage and we certainly don't have to eat a lot of it...

So tomorrow I'll begin my 10 day fast. I'm actually hoping to make it 30 days but I'm trying on 10 for size. I took my measurements and I will post my results, my menu and my feelings about it each day. I expect that I'll be pretty miserable for the first day or two or three. I'll try not to divulge too much of my misery. At the end of my 10th day I hope to feel fantastic, have lost 5 pounds and be ready to go for 20 days more. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment