Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Why THIS Sin?


I fancy myself to be more of a mental sinner than an acting one. But from everything I've learned, that doesn't matter. Sin is sin and one is no worse than the other. There are of course, the deadly ones or capital vices: wrath, sloth, greed, envy, gluttony, pride and lust. That just means they are a gateway to actions or vices that lead to very threatening, even deadly consequences; Hence the reason we should do our best to avoid them.

I hear a lot about how people have a particular disdain for homosexuals. I've heard railings against homosexuals from people all of my life. Today in the news I read about a gay man who was stalked as he went into a grocery store and then when he exited, a group of hate mongers lay in wait for him. Two of them had cameras and filmed the other men beating this man nearly to death. Because he is gay! And I need to know why people think that being a homosexual is more repugnant to our creator than say, being morbidly obese or being a drug addict or a busy body? Why don't people try to stop alcoholics from getting married? Why don't churches try to keep really overweight people from becoming preachers? I point to these two specifically because they're sins that are often much more visible to the casual observer but don't seem to draw nearly the hatred or criticism that homosexuality does. I have a lot of gay friends and some of them are much nicer people than I am. Some of them were far less promiscuous than myself when they were younger and some are much less quick to anger as well.

I just don't see it. I don't see where the fear and hatred come from. I don't understand blatant bigotry, which is also a sin... None of us are perfect. And most of us would make a sailor blush if we had to confess what we were REALLY like on the inside. If we had to say out loud, everything that was sinful and true about ourselves, most of us would crumple in shame before we could sputter the words. So why then are we so quick to crucify the people who have little chance of being as secretive as we? Aren't we all forgiven?

No comments:

Post a Comment